Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sheltered places


There is a stewardship forest near the house. A few more photos of the spot are posted on the other blog, Romancing the Northwest.  Had a delightful walk through there the other day.  Someone left this 50 acre plot to be undeveloped.   It is managed by the state.  It provides a quiet stroll through some beautiful wet land forest.  I could hear chickadees calling their lonely winter song but I was unable to see them.  Perhaps they will come to a feeder this winter.  They are such brave tiny soldiers of the forest.  The walkway was also brimming with huckleberries. Ah if I were a cook... One of the information signs (posted throughout the walk) pointed out the names of vegetation...also stated that the island is home to white tail deer but I've seen no evidence of deer here.  I was unable to spot large animal game trails, droppings or denning up spots.  Left me wondering if the development of the Island has eliminated them.

The lottery continues to elude me so it is time to stop here, hop on the treadmill and then get ready for work. Peace and blessings on your day.

3 comments:

Donna said...

What a wonderful place nearby for you to walk! And huckleberries would be quite lovely on top of your morning cereal!

WR said...

Hi Donna:
It is always so nice to hear from you. Okay, even I have to admit that huckleberries on cereal sounds lovely and no cooking involved! :-) Hope Autumn is treating you well!

Donna said...

What a peaceful place to walk! Have a happy weekend!hughugs