Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Long Drive Home





I am commuting  about 122 miles a day for the time being. It has also given me the opportunity to observe Autumn take a firm grip on the region.  We have so many pine trees here in the peninsula  that I wonder if the other leafs will be missed.  It is the beginning of the long rain.  It is a time when we will celebrate the 'partly sunny days'.  Last week or perhaps the week before that (days begin to merge when one spends so much time in the car) high winds blew in from the ocean and played in the bays and bounced off the mountains.  Not high enough to worry about yet.  That  comes later in the season.  The New Englander in me thought it was a normal drive home.  There is no time for an average life when one spends that much time in a car.  Time to learn though.  I can put books and courses in the cd player and listen to history or practice Spanish.  It helps clear my head and be fresh for the nursing staff I encounter each day,   We have so many pine trees here in the peninsula  that I wonder if the other leafs will be missed.  It is the beginning of the long rain.  It is a time when we will celebrate the 'partly sunny days'. 

1 comment:

Donna said...

That is quite a commute! Lots of time to let your mind wander and observe natural changes. Books on CDs would keep you great company!