Friday, December 21, 2007

tree in hiding


This has been a very snowy December! It has transformed the woods that surround the house. It also functions as an icy muffler. The silence of the night here is deep and profound. I find myself wondering how I ever managed to sleep when I lived a city.
This quiet belies the frantic pace I run into when I rejoin the work world each morning, Monday through Friday. I've not put a single holiday decoration in the house. It would be a poor showing compared to careless, accidental sophistication of the snow-filled woods. As I listen to my co-workers chat about the stress of the season and the shopping to be done, I feel a smug satisfaction in not having to participate in the bustle. I wish everyone good cheer but I would not trade a moment of the silent celebration in the woods.

No comments: