Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Rented Retreat


About 8 weeks ago I moved to "Wildwood" - this name proclaimed on a engraved sign hanging in the screened porch. This is a rural and secluded rental home in New England. The move here percipitated by the imploding of a troubledrelationship. The particular home - necessitated by the fact that I live with 2 dogs, a cat and a parrot...most landlords shy away from this group package. The home sits on six acres surrounded by woods (hence the name) and save one other house down the road, the nearest nieghbor is about a mile away. I am almost 60, out of shape, over-weight, and not in particularly good health - still I love being alive and being here in the country. The tasks ahead this year: stay out of any new relationship for at least one year, learn to live with and perhaps even find some joy in solitude, figure out how to get through winter with 3 cords of wood and one tank of oil (the last tenant let the pipes freeze), paint or write and try not to turn on the TV in order to bath in the numbness of programmed entertainment. I have a job and commute about 26 miles each way to and from work. I've yet to win a lottery so that part of my life is unlikely to change. Everything else is up for grabs.

No comments: